Monday, October 17, 2011

I DIDN'T KNOW HOW SIMPLE LIVING LIFE COULD BE

I am really grateful to be learning how Indian people live their lives. Of course there are a quite a few  administrative personnel who most often can fix computer problems.  But there is truly a group of very smart people who try to make our work life function on twenty-first century terms.

But what about the rest of it?  I'm having a temporary cash flow problem, so I washed some of my clothes by hand and hung them out to dry where the workers do. It feels like 1955 (that's the last century, by the way).
Sun bleach has always beat out every every other product!  Can't dry that underwear outside?  Turn the overhead fan on high; problem solved.Want to dry a sheet?  Well just hang it over the edge of the rooftop.  Everyone else does.  It's a mosaic of colors and patterns.. Andy Warhol would be proud. 

In India, function always triumphs over form.  If you want to keep your house that wonderful color you painted it, well, between the heat and humidity, you'd have to repaint 4 times a year.  You  just go with the flow, and decide not to care about the color of the outside of the house.  Pretty practical, eh?

Oh, did the electricity go out for awhile to day?  Well, that's why I brought my books and my needlepoint! And have I spent some time in prayer today?  Oops, must have slipped my mind.  And if the creatures in the terrarium you call your home don't bite, why not enjoy the Geico Gecko?  They're all God's creatures, except for maybe the mosquitos.  But then, in Wisconsin they're HUMONGOUS, so I should complain here?  We also have the best collection of toads West of Bamgladesh, but they hop around outside, so we might organize a toad race.  For some reason, it took four days for me to get my water back.  (I have a separate tank from everybody  else.)   Did I go YUCK?  Yeah, I did for a half hour and then fixed the problem.  I just can't tell you how I did it.  There are some poisonous snakes. but some month we're going to learn about them, and then I'll know.

Point is, I just decided to look for what it is, rather than what it isn't.  GREAT!  I just squshed that dang mosquito. What it is is gentle, full of beautiful, hospitable men, women and children who are living their lives the best way they know how.  And most of our effort is spent raising the level of education of the children and helping make the environment cleaner and safer.  Oh yeah, there's violence and chaos too.  Hmm...sounds like it could be America.

The faith expressed here at St. Michael's could be maudlin babble, but it's ardent belief in God's love, and a commandment to live it.  I love you all.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing, Lynn. I too feel exactly what you are feeling. Spending times getting frustrated with what isn't only takes away from all that is that you could be dwelling in. You are so strong! I'm glad to hear you're doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete