Friday, December 23, 2011

There's always Plan B while you're on Plan A

St. Michael's Durgapur;

PLAN A
There is Christmas music blaring over the loudspeaker all over the courtyard, but I truly never thought I would hear Elvis' rendition of 'Silver Bells.'  The Christmas pageant is being prepared; dancers are practicing, sheep, shepherds, Magi and angels are getting into their 'roles.'  The Hostel choir (who are also the dancers) is practicing 6 carols in English ("No, I'm sorry;  they're not learning 2 more now, thank you.")  This pageant comes from America, I think.  Sanjay is the Lion, the King.  He's holding court and all the animals want to exclude the 'stinky pig', but the King says no one gets turned away.  They all hold their noses for awhile.  There's the star, Mary and Joseph and then Jesus.  The Three (other) Kings offer their gifts The Lion King decides to give his crown to Jesus, and the Lion, the Lamb and the Dove kneel together honoring the Christchild.  The girls dance like angels, too, and the choreography and their white satin capes make the dance seem like a snowy kaleidoscope.  Four six-year olds sing the first verse of 'When a child is born' a capella and we see truth and grace in their innocence.  You wish it would never end.  But then-there's food to be eaten and gifts to be unwrapped!

PLAN B
Sometime near the end of rehearsals for this pageant and the other two school concerts waiting in the wings, I had an 'episode' of some sort: very wobbly walking and stammering.  The next day I visited our neat compound doctor who comes 3 days a week to the free Good Shepherd clinic.  He said, "Let's evaluate you at the hospital."  I went to a private (expensive) hospital and the care of the staff and the quality of the doctors was outstanding.  Went through all the tests - carotid artery, EEG.  All came back normal.   Hmmm...   So to be on the safe side, the Bishop and others agreed I should come home for the holidays, and let my own doctors have a look at me.  I had my own hunch about all this but came back to Green Bay in case SOMETHING AWFUL WAS WRONG!  To be continued in the next blog.

Now I know you need a Christmas joke and here it is!  Motorcycles are a predominant mode of travel to and from work.  Half of our staff come roaring in on their cycles, and you can only recognize them when the helmet comes off.  Many women also ride motorcycles, and it is quite a lovely sight to see a woman ride her cycle in a salwar kameez (tunic, pants and scarf) AND helmet.  So here I am at the hospital waiting for my carotid artery test.  A new shift is starting, and I can see most of the rooms with their labels on.  Men in their leather jackets and helmets.  There goes the cardiologist.  Isn't that the Ob-Gyn guy? I think he's an internist. And on and on.  Then MY doctor comes out and goes out the door with HIS helmet.  Seems there was a glitch in the scheduling, so he goes out for lunch.  I'm happy to say he did return, and the test took about 15 minutes.  I hope his lunch was wonderful.

 




1 comment:

  1. Hello Lynn--

    For some reason, you were very much on my mind today. I sent up a prayer for you and then wondered if I would be able to tell you that I had done so. I wish you all the best and will take time to read more of your blog.

    I'm living in New York City now and have been since 2005. I worship at an Episcopal church with a tiny congregation.

    Those few years that I was part of "Prayer in the Morning" at St. Stephen's were so important to me.....and I sometimes dream of your recital at Palmer Memorial Church, especially as you walked from the front of the church to the back, while singing.

    Dale

    Dale McNeill

    ReplyDelete