Sunday, January 1, 2012

OOPS! WE ATE THE GOATS! Part 2

As you know I love living on this farm with the church in it, and the animals are almost as delightful as the children.  Cats are not very common, but one inhabits our hostel somehow, and we think it comes down  from the flat roof on the top of the building.  There are lot of nooks and crannies to sleep and hide in, and it's starting to get friendly with some of the girls.  It's orange and white, with a sweet face.  I would love to pick it up and nuzzle it and hear it purr.  (No Connie, I'm not THAT stupid!!) Unfortunately, by the time it got de-loused, wormed, neutered, de-rabied, de-parasited and whatever else, I'd be broke, and it would just go out and contract the same stuff.  But just think of it!!  Sangeeta, our hostile hostel cat.  We could be famous!   Yeah yeah yeah...

In Durgapur, I saw that we were having mutton for supper.  Now I adore lamb but mutton is octagenerian lamb: tough, stringy and smelly.  I thought I could handle it if I just pinched my nose.  I was really hungry for lamb.  You already know what I'm going to say, don't you Trivia players?  As school rehearsal were really cranking up and the days were getting much shorter, I didn't have time to pay much attention to the farm... except that I thought I was seeing fewer goats.  Mutton IS goat meat, not ancient lamb.  I'm sure we sold some of the goats off, but when you're cooking mutton curry for thirty...Well, what can I say?  We ate the goats!  Mighty tasty too.  Tastes a little like chicken...........

HIGHWAY CODE OF INDIA, ARTICLE IV  Use of horn (also known as the sonic fender or the language of the road.)

Cars: Short blasts (urgent) indicate supremacy, i.e. in clearing dogs, rickshaws and pedestrians from the path.  Long blasts (desperate) denote supplication, i.e. to oncoming trucks "I am going too fast to stop, so unless you slow down we shall both die."  In extreme cases this may be accompanied by flashing of headlights (frantic.)

Single blast(casual) means:  "I have seen someone out of India's  one billion whom I recognize," There is a bird in the road which at this speed could go through my windscreen," or "I have not blown my horn for several minutes."

Trucks and Buses:  All horn signals have the same meaning: "I have an all-up weight of approximately 12.5 tons and have no intention of stopping, even if I could."  This signal may be emphasized by the use of headlamps.










No comments:

Post a Comment