Friday, November 18, 2011

Living In India with a Brain Injury

Almost 4 years ago I had brain injury from a car crash.  It damaged the right side of my brain, which organizes information, prioritizes things, and provides focus and concentration.  It's like a colossal case of Attention Deficit Disorder.  You make a plan in thirty minutes; it will take me an hour and a half.  It also left my left side weaker than the right, and balance problems.  Not horrible, but pretty significant.  In Green Bay I made a lot of progress with my balance.

A month ago I  fell three times in two days. The final straw was falling up on cement stairs, and each fall reminded me of the time I fell and broke both wrists.  All buildings are cement  with no railings.  The playgrounds are dirt with rocks.  Every piece of walkway or lane or stairway is uneven and sometimes filled with rocks.  I have two pair of high end New Balance shoes and Birkenstock sandals.

 I had a good cry about it with my friend Sally, another missionary.
While I was waiting for the car to take me home, I centered for 15
minutes so my brain could slow down.  The plan I used so successfully
in Green Bay is useless here, so God has another plan for me.  I'm
finished teaching for today, so I'm going to nap and do needlework.

PS:  I have made myself walk so slow as though I were 100.  I watch every step I take right in front of me.  I cannot walk and talk to anyone at the same time.  I cannot look at birds, trees or the sky anymore.
this plan has worked very well, and everyone around helps me.  As for the ADD, write it down, write it down, write it down.

I can feel the prayers.  Thank you so much.
Peace and blessings,

Indian Road Rule for today:
Article II:  Indian traffic, like Indian society, is structured on strict caste caste system.  Thre floowing precedence must be accorded at all times.  In descending order, give way to: cows, elephants, camels, water buffalo, pigs, goats, dogs, heavy trucks, buses, official cars, pedal rickshaws, private cars, motorcycles, scooters, auto-rickshaws, handcarts and pedestrians.

I have often seen signs on the backs of commercial vehicles:  Obey the road rules.  Honk Horn.
And boy is THAT true!  Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment